Now that we have entered into a new era where household hygiene is a top priority, poison prevention needs to be at the forefront as well. We need to ensure that we take the proper measures to keep our children safe from poisonous solids, liquids, sprays, and gases at home.
The CDC defines a poison as any substance that is harmful to your body when ingested, inhaled, injected, or absorbed through the skin. According to the CDC, over 300 children in the United States ages 0 to 19 are treated in an emergency department as a result of being poisoned every day. Each year, Poison Centers answer more than 1 million calls for children.
Here are some key prevention tips my family abides by:
Read Beyond the Label
Read all warning labels and follow directions when giving medicine to children or using chemicals near them. Just because a cleaner or medicine isn’t clearly marked with a warning label, doesn’t mean it cannot be a danger to children. It is a known fact that children are curious by nature and will opt to investigate, and even taste, anything that they can access. Medication dosing mistakes and unsupervised ingestion are among the most common ways that children are poisoned.
Out of Sight, Out of Mind
Lock up medicines and household products – especially items like detergent packets, travel sized items, sunscreens, hand sanitizers, batteries, fuel, etc. – and keep them out of sight or at least out of reach. Keep track of commonly used products such as hand sanitizers and make sure to supervise kids when they need to use them. Too lock away smaller items and when you’re on-the-go, we like to use the TROVA Go, a smart storage device that wirelessly connects to your phone via Bluetooth and accessible through biometric scanning!
Keep Everything Organized
Go through your medicine cabinet and pantry regularly and safely dispose of anything that is not needed or expired. It is also a great opportunity to remind yourself of the uses of these products and refresh your memory on the label information.
Install Carbon Monoxide Detector
Even small doses of carbon monoxide can cause permanent damage or death. A carbon monoxide detector is affordable, easy to install, and can save your life. Ensure that a carbon monoxide detector is installed on every level of your home.
Be Prepared in Case of Emergency
Keep the poison control center’s phone number (1-800-222-1222) handy and accessible. The poison control center can be reached 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so don’t be afraid to call just to ask a question – better to be safe than sorry. In case of an emergency, call 911.